Long Term Conditions
Long term conditions normally in the rheumatology or orthopaedic field require regular exercise to prevent stiffness and therefore an acute episode of pain, muscle weakness, deformity and maintenance of function essential for normal day to day activities.
Conditions that benefit from Hydrotherapy / Aquatic Physiotherapy include:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- To name but a few
Benefits of Hydrotherapy / Aquatic Physiotherapy are:
- Reduction of pain by relaxation of the tension and spasm of the muscles in the limb.
- Reduced weight bearing through the affect swollen joint but still able to exercise to maintain muscle activity
- Maintain Cardio-vascular fitness during a period of exacerbation
- Ability to use the water to help move the joint
- Improved morale as you are able to exercise
- Helps to reduce deformities by moving your joints.
- Improved balance by using the properties of the water to support and the progressing to using the drag and turbulence created by the water to destabilise balance.
- Promotes relaxation which helps to combat sleep disturbances.
- Control of long term disability - arthritis self management
Advantages of Physiotherapy in water compared with land?
"For me, it was the opportunity to take responsibility. I carried out the exercises rather than being manipulated on the table. I found the exercises easier. I can do more and felt more benefit."
Guidance and support of the Physiotherapists?
"Physios are great. I've had 3 since doing it and each one had a different strength and a different way of doing something. They were flexible to my needs at each session so we only focused on what I needed"
General Overview of the experience of Hydrotherapy / Aquatic Physiotherapy
"I absolutely love Aquatic Physiotherapy. It allows me more mobility and a sense of taking control. It is the only exercise I manage to do in a week so is essential."