Hydrotherapy / Aquatic therapy can be an excellent supplement to land based therapy for children. By using the properties of water in conjunction with appropriate therapeutic techniques aquatic therapy can be an effective way of addressing a wide variety of conditions: sensory, neurological and orthopaedic.
Improvement in the following may be achieved.
- Joint mobility
- Muscle flexibility and strengths
- Head and trunk control
- Improved posture/balance and coordination
- Respiratory function
- Strength and endurance
- Psychological benefits, self esteem, confidence and motivation.
- Gross motor skills
- Enhances sensory feedback and body awareness
- Decreased pain
Most importantly aquatic therapy should be used to support a child's land rehabilitation aims and goals.
Some of the most common Paediatric conditions which benefit from Hydrotherapy / Aquatic therapy are:
- Cerebral palsy
- Juvenile arthritis
- Post Orthopaedic surgery (eg osteotomy and scoliotic correction)