Using aquatic exercise to recover from
Lower Back Pain and Surgery
Back Pain Rehabilitation Including Post Spinal Surgery
Lower back pain is a very common condition. The main emerging message from expert Physiotherapists is that controlled exercise is most often the best remedy. The information below outline's the benefits and aims of using hydrotherapy to improve lower back pain, a brief description of spinal anatomy, and some excellent general back pain advice which fits with our treatment ethos.
Benefits of Hydrotherapy / Aquatic Physiotherapy for Back Rehabilitation
- Water Immersion decreases axial loading of the spine.
- Can aid relaxation and pain relief, immersion can help reduce high muscle tone and can increase spinal muscle flexibility.
- Effects of buoyancy allows the performance of movements which are normally difficult or impossible on land.
- By using the unique properties of the water (buoyancy, resistance, flow and turbulence) a graded exercise program can be developed.
- Viable alternative for those who have difficulties with land based exercises.
- Safe advancement of exercise (if limited by pain on land).
- Deep Water exercise allows for an off-loaded and non-painful position while participating in in aerobic conditioning and maintaining fitness.
- Aerobic deep-water conditioning provides endorphin release, improving mood state.
- Due to the above points exercising in water is generally easier. This can then help prevent an over protection mindset which may lead to worsening or chronicity of the pain.
- We treat many different types of spinal surgery at our pool, including Discectomies, Decompressions, Fusions and Vertebroplasty / Kyphoplasty.